Toronto and Region Conservation for The Living City is an organization that gives information about Toronto Region’s environmental health and sustainability. In THE LIVING CITY REPORT : GRADING THE GTA’S ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH section of the website, detailed progress on sustainability in the GTA, it focueses on the six themes, which are carbon, air quality, water, waste, land use and biodiversity.
Who they are :
With more than 60 years of experience, TRCA is one of 36 Conservation Authorities in Ontario. Working with municipalities and other partners to look after the watersheds of the Toronto region and its Lake Ontario waterfront, we help people understand, enjoy and look after the natural environment. Our vision is for The Living City®, where human settlement can flourish forever as part of nature’s beauty and diversity.
What they do :
- Take care of nine watersheds and the Lake Ontario shoreline, in partnership with municipalities, the Province and other stakeholders in the communities we serve.
- Work to preserve and protect the land, improve wildlife and plant habitats.
- Encourage people of all ages to get out and enjoy nature for optimal health and well-being.
- Monitor and report on the health of Toronto’s environment
- Provide input and expertise on water management, resource conservation, natural heritage and cultural heritage.
- Run programs that teach a greater appreciation of the environment and ways to adopt sustainable technologies
- Reduce human impact on natural resources while acquiring, protecting and restoring conservation lands to further watershed and resource management
Why it matters :
TRCA is creating a cleaner, greener and healthier place to live, and aims to improve the health of the natural environment and create opportunities for a sustainable future. By doing so, they insure they live in harmony with nature and are a healthier society as a whole.
URL below provides further information about The Living City Report Card 2016.
For more information about TRCA, visit the website below.